Below is a brief checklist of items a doctoral student should complete before graduation:
Degree Requirements Checklist
- Four core courses in the areas of Software, Systems, and Theory (one from each category, plus one)
- At least four courses past the MS degree requirements with at least a B- in each
- Pass CIS 8962, Qualifying Exam
- Pass CIS 8964, Preliminary Exam
- Be admitted to candidacy at least 6 months prior to the awarding of the degree
- Defend a prospectus and submit a defense result form to the Graduate Coordinator. Defense result forms are available in 203 LOV.
- Complete at least 24 hours of CIS6980, Dissertation, with a minimum enrollment of 2 credit hours of Dissertation each semester after being admitted to candidacy until completion of degree.
- Register, at most once, for CIS 8985, Dissertation Defense, and withdraw from all but one instance if you have registered for this more than once
- All requirements for the doctoral degree must be completed within five years from the time the student passes the preliminary examination, or the student’s supervisory committee will require that a new preliminary exam be passed.
- Register for graduation at the Registrar’s Office during the first two weeks of the semester in which you wish to graduate
Defense & Graduation Checklist
- Determine the manuscript approval deadline, the manuscript submission deadline, and the defense deadline. These change each semester & are available on the Registrar’s web site under the FSU Academic Calendar as well as GradSpace in Canvas.
- Submit the dissertation to the doctoral committee at least 4 weeks in advance
- Please see the “Manuscript Clearance” section within GradSpace in Canvas for all deadlines, required forms, format guides, and other information and resources.
- Schedule defense (at least 2 weeks in advance):
- Reserve room (typically 151 Love) with the CS senior secretary
- Reserve PC cart (if needed) by signing up on calendar on the door in the copy room in 260 Love
- Complete the defense announcement form found at https://clearance.fsu.edu (due no later than two weeks before the defense date).
- Inform Eleanor McNealy of title, room, and time of defense so she can send out the notification
- Obtain the CS Defense Result Form (“green form”) from outside office (203A). Take this form with you to the defense to record the outcome of the defense.
- Return the CS Defense Result Form to the CS Graduate Coordinator, Daniel Clawson.
- Make sure your manuscript is submitted to the Graduate Clearance Advisor over in the Graduate School by the deadline listed in GradSpace.
- Submit an electronic version (pdf) of the project to the CS webmaster (webmaster [at cs dot fsu dot edu]) and the Graduate Coordinator (clawson [at cs dot fsu dot edu]).
- submit a copy of your resume which includes all publications, to the Graduate Coordinator, Daniel Clawson (clawson [at cs dot fsu dot edu]).
- Complete the departmental EXIT survey (sent electronically towards the ent of the semester)
- If your employment plans are uncertain when completing the EXIT survey, inform the CS Director of Graduate Studies via email when those plans are complete