The Cyber Criminology graduate program has different core-course and admissions requirements and is thus a separate program. Below are the minimum admissions requirements for the CC MS degree program:
- Required Degrees: To be admitted to the Department of Computer Science as a Cyber Criminology graduate student you should have an undergraduate BS or BA degree in Computer Science or BS degree in Cyber Criminology. The program is designed primarily for our BA Computer Science and BS Cyber Criminology undergraduate students who wish to continue on in the pursuit of their MS degree in this field. Students who do not meet these undergraduate degree guidelines will be required to complete certain undergraduate prerequisites before graduation with a graduate degree in Cyber Criminology. Students without a prior undergraduate or graduate degree in computer science should have at least completed COP4530 (Data Structures) or an equivalent class to be considered competitive for admissions. Here is the list of Undergraduate Prerequisites for the MS CC Degree Program.
- GRE Scores: The minimum GRE scores required for admission are a 145 on the verbal section and a 150 on the quantitative section. For the old scoring system, the minimum GRE score required for admission is 1100 (Verbal and Quantitative combined) with a minimum of 650 on the Quantitative.
- TOEFL Scores: The minimum required score on the IBTOEFL for admission consideration is 80 (213 computer-based, 550 paper-based). However, the Computer Science Department considers a score of 100-105 competitive, especially when students are seeking assistantships. The ability to lecture in English will be a major consideration in the selection of students for Teaching Assistantships.
***Please note that we will accept the following English Proficiency Scores for admission consideration, but they do not satisfy the English Proficiency requirements for Teaching Assistantship eligibility. Only a TOEFL speaking score of 26 or higher can fully satisfy the English Proficiency requirement for Teaching Assistantships.
- International English Language Testing System (Academic IELTS): Minimum overall score of 6.5
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): Minimum overall score of 55
- Duolingo: Minimum overall score of 120 (Summer 2022 and Forward)
- Cambridge C1 Advanced Level: Minimum overall score of 180 (Fall 2022 and Forward)
- Michigan Language Assessment: Minimum overall score of 55 (Fall 2022 and Forward)
- Grade Point Average: Students should have at least a B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) average to be considered competitive. Students with a GPA of less than 3.0 in their undergraduate degree fall below both the department and university standards.