- The first major accomplishment was getting a functional LCD parallel port device. We would like to thank Dr. Baker for his many hours of work soldering all of the components together to make the device and to remake the device after we burned up the first one.
- The second major accomplishment was finally being able to write our first characters to the device. It took several days of reading, rereading, and re-rereading the documentation to understand some of the nuances of the device requirements in order to successfully display characters on the screen.
- Another major accomplishment was successfully mapping the characters in the array to the device. The memory order of the device makes it so the line order is 1 3 2 4, and also learning how to use the various options, such as clearing the display, moving cursors, etc.
- The next accomplishment was reviving the device after it died. The variable resistor used for background contrast died and we were able to solder in another one to make it work.
- We were able to successfully implement memory mapping.